Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Tonya, once scared and alone, would like to thank you.

Tonya, 26, married Jason after becoming pregnant. Jason is an abusive alcoholic, who verbally, physically, and sexually abused Tonya beginning the month after Olivia was born. Tonya found it very difficult to leave the relationship. “I wanted to stay for my daughter’s sake. I didn’t want her growing up without a father, like I did.” Tonya met with Staci, HOPE’s Outreach and Legal Advocate, and together they worked on a safety plan. A safety plan outlines a strategy to leave an abusive partner and covers the “what if” scenarios to help maintain safety. 

Tonya and Olivia are now safe, thanks to an Order for Protection signed by a local judge. With Staci’s help, Tonya and Jason were able to work out a supervised parenting schedule for Olivia. “I never knew who this person was inside me. I never felt whole. I am just beginning to start my new life – alone. But I don’t feel lonely because I know there are people like Staci who care about me and my daughter.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment